Friday, July 30, 2010

Zuchini Madness!

Though we're not growing any zucchini here at the ETC this year, we're getting tons of it from our local organic CSA, Mt. Lebanon Farm. This week's share included almost a full bushel of the great, green squash. So, as innkeeper and general kitchen goddess here, I've been trying to find ways to use all of this bounty. Here are some of the ways I've discovered:

  1. A simple stir fry. Zucchini tastes super yummy sliced then pan fried in a little olive oil and butter. It's doesn't need much help. I usually sprinkle on a little black pepper and a generous dose of Italian seasoning. If I'm feeling really fancy, I'll hit it with a couple of sprays from the soy sauce pump bottle. That's all it needs!
  2. Zapples. To my delight, the recipes that came with this week's share had a great way to make zucchini taste like apples! I'm serious. Simmer your peeled, seeded, sliced (or diced) zucchini or yellow squash in a pot with lemon juice, sweetener (sugar or honey), and cinnamon and nutmeg. Voila! Zapples! I've used mine in zapple muffins and zapple crisp. No one knew it was squash unless I told them. Even then, some people thought I mixed the two together.
  3. Pickles. Yes, you can pickled veggies other than cucumbers. I've got some beautiful yellow squash sweet pickles on the shelf right now, and even munched on some pickled okra with lunch today. Yum!
  4. Zucchini bread. Ah, the old standard. I like making zucchini bread specialer-than-normal by adding things like diced apple, raisins and pumpkin seeds. What do you like in your bread?

That's all I've done with them so far. Anyone else out there got some tips on what to do with the abundance of squash that summer brings?

2 comments:

  1. Any recipe calling for crabmeat works with grated, lightly salted, drained (in a colander with a weight on top), peeled zucchini. Try making crabcakes... the secret is to use plenty of Old Bay seasoning (no substitutes). Try to squeeze out as much liquid as possible (that's what the draining is about) - or maybe put in a dehydrator briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip! I'll try it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete